Saturday, February 4, 2012

From True Food Kitchen to Our Table

Oh, hello there. It's been a while since I've posted here but I'm finally "back" from a particularly rough first trimester of pregnancy with baby #2. Yay! We are doing well at about 17 weeks now - wow, I had forgotten how fast it goes! And now that the cat is out of the bag and I have my appetite back, I can get back to blogging about all things savory, scrumptious, and decadent...which brings me to a recent meal we prepared for a particular birthday boy.

My in-laws were visiting from Los Angeles last weekend and we celebrated Uncle Jim's birthday with a deliciously healthy feast inspired by Dr. Andrew Weil's True Food Kitchen. The featured dish was this Tuscan Kale Salad, and I have to say that if you have not yet enjoyed kale in its natural state, you need to make this recipe for dinner tonight! Not only was it a huge hit but after two days of leftovers, we were seriously considering making another batch.


Salmon and chicken were served with the kale, both very complementary. The salmon rub, which I believe my mother-in-law also found from True Food Kitchen, was delicious. I feel blessed to have in-laws who enjoy cooking and are so good at designing tasty menus on the fly to accommodate wheat/gluten-free diets. The one thing that my mother-in-law noted about tripling the kale recipe was that we needed more dressing than she anticipated (I actually did not feel that my kale was underdressed but the verdict was more dressing next time).

We finished off the dinner with a chocolate nut torte that I had been wanting to make for eons (recipe courtesy of Aunt Janet) and it was superb. The party favor was a jar of homemade lemon curd, made with honey as the sweetener. I will post these dessert recipes at a later date because they are both just to die for. Happy Birthday, Uncle Jim!

No comments:

Post a Comment